Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Hymn of Promise

 We will be playing "Hymn of Promise" in bell choir on Sunday. It's great in midwinter or spring.
In the bulb there is a flower; in the seed, an apple tree;
In cocoons, a hidden promise: butterflies will soon be free!
In the cold and snow of winter there’s a spring that waits to be,
Unrevealed until its season, something God alone can see.


The red maples are showing off their springtime red flowers. These are one of my favorite spring trees.
red maple flowers


The church planter is looking nice with daffodils and hyacinths
spring planter


I am a little sorry to tell you about this last tree, although it's about to burst in blossom. And it has at least 10 friends. I'm pretty sure these are Bradford Pear, Pyrus calleryana. They were brought to the US in the 1960s as an ornamental tree, but they out-compete a lot of native trees and revert to a brittle, thorny tree that naturalizes in woodlands. They are considered a real no-no farther south, and are now banned in a number of states. Maybe I can confirm this on Sunday. The flowers should have an unpleasant odor if it's this pear.
Bradford pear


Even though it was nice out, I worked hard on editing and writing. I have so much to do, and Saturday and Sunday I did nothing on these projects.

I guess if there's an upside to the writing, I have finally figured out a format for the campsite list that seems to work with all the options, and I can organize it in a spreadsheet to double check the mileages. I feel as if this is going a little faster now, which would be really good.

See A Riot of Daffs

2 comments:

Ann said...

I love springtime when everything begins to bloom

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- me too