Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Manistee Riverwalk Details

 
I can hardly believe I haven't blogged about Manistee Riverwalk before. It's a really nice urban hike. Ellen and I did it last summer. I probably get there a couple of times a year. The only bad part is that dogs aren't allowed, so Maggie had to stay home.

I'll just give you a long view of part of the pathway (it's 1.5 miles long), and then I'm going to show some details today. There are things I can share another day too, so stay tuned!

Manistee Riverwalk

There isn't a lot of fancy architectural detail on the backs of the many buildings, but I found a few interesting things.

round window in brick wall

Some of the little doodads look more interesting in black and white. This is on the old waterworks building which is now a museum.

brick corbels

I liked all the different lines and angles of a bunch of stacked picnic tables behind railings.

stacked tables and railings

Some buildings seem to be patched with whatever was handy.

brick patterns

Finally, I loved this vine, and you'll never see the pattern of the stems in the summer.

vine on brick

The Manistee Riverwalk will be the subject of my column at Mason County Press in a couple of weeks.

if you like this blog, click the +1  

8 comments:

Ann said...

I enjoyed the scenes and that last picture is awesome

jeanlivingsimple said...

Interesting photos. I liked all of them.

rainfield61 said...

You must have a lot to write about Manistee Riverwalk.

A beautiful place.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Good photos and I'll bet the article will be interesting.

Ann said...

I was trying to find a contact me link so I could send you an invite to Pinterest. If you send me your email address I can do the invite

spinninglovelydays said...

Great pictures! I especially like the first and the last.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I'm glad you like it... I really wanted it to turn out, but I wasn't sure it really did

Jean- thank you!

rainfield- it's one of the nicest urban walkways in Michigan (not that Manistee is that big, but it's not in the woods)

Carole- The articles are mostly straightforward, but I hope to get people to click to other sites

Ann- another friend sent me an invite

Ivy- They have the best rhythm. I wanted that tables and railings picture to "sing," but it only sort of makes it... not sure why.

RNSANE said...

I agree, those chairs make for an interesting photo...it's a nice area for a walk...for a change of pace.