Entries to Win Afghan


If you like my books, essays, etc. you might want to put your name on this private email list (no spam ever) for advance notices, coupons, and occasional freebies. Tell your friends too! Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Previous gifts include a short story, a poem and a half-off coupon for the newest book. Sign up, and don't miss out!"
Winners are: 3rd place- e-book of your choice: Wendy Nystrom. 2nd place- book of your choice, paper or e-book: Sue Ann Crawford. Winner of the afghan: Elaine Hull.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Riverwalk Flora and Fauna

 
I'm going to share more pictures from yesterday's hike. I'm so glad I went! Even though today was supposed to have about the same weather, it was cloudy and a little colder. That made yesterday seem even better.

Actually, the best event from today was that we went to see Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I have to say this is the best movie I've seen in quite a few years. Highly recommended! I hope it gets Best Picture. I don't want to give anything away, but if you've seen the ads for it you've got the gist. (A boy tries to deal with losing his father after 9-11)

Back to yesterday. Even though it was sunny, because the riverwalk is shielded from the sun till midday by the buildings, there was still frost on some surfaces. I always like these kind of pictures.

frosty leaves

Next we have red-osier dogwood. The twigs aren't always this bright, but a sunny winter day is the best chance of a good color display and this bush was putting on a great show!

red-osier dogwood

Seagulls (these are herring gulls) are pretty much like Michigan rats. But I couldn't resist one picture... it's quintessential Great Lakes.

seagulls

I saved the best for last. There were quite a few ducks, and I got a good picture of a female common merganser, Mergus merganser, with her crest down. There's a link at the end for a picture of one with her crest raised.

female common merganser

That's a better picture than this last one, but I'm excited about this one, because I've learned another new duck. This is a male goldeneye, Bucephala clangula. It's related to the buffleheads that I've gotten pretty familiar with.

male common goldeneye

It could be a busy week, but my bumper gets replaced tomorrow, so at least I'll look better while doing it! A bumperless car is pretty ugly.

See Ducks of the Day
if you like this blog, click the +1  

6 comments:

Lin said...

Is that movie depressing? Someone told me it is. After watching "Precious" and "Warhorse" back to back, I can't do depressing again. I hear the book is good too.

LOVE your frosty shots. :) We don't have those ducks here, I don't think.

Reena Walkling said...

Love your frosty pics. Also, want to see the movie ... heard very good things about it!

Ann said...

I haven't seen a movie in ages.
Love the pictures

rainfield61 said...

That made yesterday seem even better.

But we might not know by that time.

Sharkbytes said...

Lin- I thought it was really uplifting, although of course it's based on the 9-11 event

Reena- sometimes the frost looks good, and sometimes just blurry.

Ann- don't you like movies?

rainfield- still no snow here, but the sun was only out on Sat.

RNSANE said...

The red dogwood branches are so pretty.

The only duck I would recognize is the mallard.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin