Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Stuck in the Servants' Quarters

 
The joke is on me. I had a meeting this evening at the Cartier Mansion in Ludington, now a Bed & Breakfast. I thought I was going to get to see the inside of the house.

Cartier Mansion, Ludington, Michigan

Turns out the meeting room is in the carriage house.

Cartier Mansion, Ludington, Michigan

The house was built in the early 1900's by Warren Cartier, son of lumber baron Antoine Cartier. Both men are early legends of Ludington history and politics.

From descriptions I've read, many of the high end features of the time period are similar to those at places like Stan Hywet and the Kellogg Mansion. This house is big, but not as big as those, of course.

The first floor of the carriage house is now storage. I guess a boat trailer isn't that much different from a carriage.

Cartier Mansion, Ludington, Michigan

The meeting room is upstairs.

Cartier Mansion, Ludington, Michigan

Maybe I'll get to go inside another time. The owners are acquaintances, but does one just go ask for a tour?

Link below to an article about the history of the family.

See The Life of Ludington's Cartier Mansion
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


1 comment:

Ann said...

What a beautiful house. Love the architecture of that time period