Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

I Have Maps!

 
Here's where I brag just a little tiny bit. If nothing goes wrong in the next five weeks, I will become the first person to have hiked all of the North Country Trail (New York to North Dakota, plus the Vermont extension), the Finger Lakes Trail (New York, Allegany State Park to the Catskills), and the Buckeye Trail (encircles Ohio).

All I have left to do is a little piece of the Buckeye Trail, in red on the map below.

Buckeye Trail

Marie and I are hiking those 63 miles at the end of April. I ordered maps. They came on Saturday. They have a basic map and written point-to-point guide.


Buckeye Trail maps

But I always like to have more info. Definitely maps from more than one source. I often print out sections from USGS topo maps and mark the route on them. I did that for this hike because it's going to have a lot of topography.


USGS topo maps

Then, for fun, I like to lay them out connecting the trail line to get a feel for what we are hiking. Never mind the dirty floor. There are more important things to do. Like planning a hike!


trail maps

This hike is about half trail and half road, but most of the roads are very rural. These will not be the straight, flat roads of northwest Ohio that I hiked last fall.

Can't wait! Let the hike planning commence.

See 57 Miles in NW Ohio
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

2 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

Wow! I think I should congratulate you alteady! You're so close! Hope you get a huge reward!

Secondary Roads said...

Hope the planning goes well and the hike even better.