Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, March 27, 2017

Big Birds

 
The day was gray which does not result in pretty pictures when the world is still gray and brown, but at least I didn't get rained on.

The best sighting was two sandhill cranes. They give me a chance to get the camera on because quite often they call out as they take off.

sandhill cranes

I kind of like this long shot. Those big bodies look suspended under the wings as if using a parachute.

sandhill cranes

The great blue heron is usually silent. I was lucky to get the bird in the frame at all. It flew into a pine tree. I took a couple of pictures, but I can't even find it by enlarging the shots!

blue heron

I've taken lots better pictures of both these birds, but this blog isn't all about photography, it's about seizing the gift I am given.

See I Heard a Raucous Rattle
See Work and Wildlife
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

2 comments:

Secondary Roads said...

Witnessing such scenes is certainly a rich gift that we are given.

Last night I saw what certainly looked like a blue heron, but the neck was not folded as it flew by. I could see very slight bends where it would fold its neck, but that neck was mostly straight.

The Furry Gnome said...

We saw a small flock of Sandhills today as well, first of the season.