Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Remember the Hiking Pants Crisis?

 
If you were with me back on the Midland to Mackinac Trail two years ago, you know that my pants shredded. I found a pair of slacks at a thrift store that would work, and I haven't done anything else about that issue since then. However, this is a real hike. I don't want pants with regular pockets because you can't get into them when you are wearing the backpack.

Solution? I've been making my own for several decades. I had even ordered a nylon-cotton blend fabric to make a really nice pair. (remember, I can't wear polyester) Here we go.

sewing a pair of hiking pants

I actually cut out two pairs while I was at it. I have fabric for a second pair, but it's not this fancy stuff. There's a double layer of blue fabric under the green. I might get them put together, too. These are basically pajamas with cargo pockets. I never have to worry about a broken zipper or failed elastic, or buttons or snaps. The only part that takes more than the blink of an eye is the pockets. I did them yesterday.

sewing a pair of hiking pants

Finished up today.

sewing a pair of hiking pants

As I said, the important part is the pockets.

sewing a pair of hiking pants

I'm sitting here in my new pants. The fabric seems comfortable. I'll have to hike in them to really know. Especially on a hot day.

In other news: I worked in my gardens some. Went shopping with a list of 4 things and came home with 5, but they weren't necessarily the same as what was on the list. I went for a 3-mile walk with Teeny at 26 pounds. Then I finished the pants.

See True Blue Gumby II

2 comments:

PeggyK said...

I totally understand the list of 4 and coming home with 5, not necessarily the ones on the list! Very clever on the pants.

Ann said...

Great job on the pants. The pockets look perfect. I can sew but I doubt I could manage to make my own pattern.
I always get what's on the list (so long as the store has it) but I end up getting extras too.