Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, December 15, 2023

It's Been a Lotta Years Since...


Most of what I'm going to show you today was from yesterday. I hunkered down and worked hard today.

It's been a lot of years since I bought a new jigsaw puzzle, for sure over 33 years. After losing my extensive and sentimentally valuable collection in 1990, I didn't even do any puzzles for a long time. Eventually, I started doing some that were given to me- all secondhand- which is fine. But I know I haven't purchased one. Wednesday, Meijer offered a coupon for 50% off a puzzle. Well... I gave in to temptation and bought one called Toy Shoppe.

Cathy and I opened it yesterday.
jigsaw puzzle Toy Shoppe


We took a break in the middle to eat some dinner, but finished it that evening without any problems. We agreed that it was enjoyable, a fun picture, not too easy and not too hard.
jigsaw puzzle Toy Shoppe


Today, as I was working on the pantry, I came across this. It's a latchhook wall hanging I made around 1972. We were going through a phase of liking big cats. I think the best that can be said for this is that it is not a kit, but I designed it myself. It was fun. It's pretty big, almost 2x3 feet. There is some damage to this. I could fix it if I were motivated, but I'll just put it away until the next big cleanup. I've done much nicer crafts that are more meaningful to keep, but I guess I'm not quite ready to give it up yet.

I don't think I've done any latchhook since then. I did design one that Omer's mother wanted, and then she hooked it. And one summer when Marie and David were visiting- David and Steve were about 8 or 9- we set them up to make small latchhooks, which they actually enjoyed doing. (I think they drew the pictures themselves, too.)
latchhook wall hanging of a big cat


Also on the crafty side, I like to do things with paper, as you've recently been reminded as I talked about the Polish Porcupine Balls. But I haven't done much of anything along those lines for a lot of years, either. This year, I decided to try one of the many examples of paper roll snowflakes. They are certainly a craft, not much of an art. But I made this one and took it to Cathy.
cardboard roll snowflake


I did work hard today. I am almost done with one editing project. I worked in the pantry, and made another, different snowflake. You'll see that one later.

See Polish Porcupine Balls

2 comments:

Ann said...

I like that puzzle. A lot of bloggers post about doing them. Makes me want to go out and buy one.
I tried my hand at latch hook back in the day. It's been a long time since I've done one and I don't have any around so I must not have done anything impressive enough to hold on to.
I like that snowflake.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- thanks for all the comments!