Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, December 4, 2023

To Reclaim a Trail?


A couple of weeks ago, I told you about the property next door. I still haven't asked the new owner if I can walk there (he had a deer blind up for gun season), but I got his phone number, so I'm going to ask. Meanwhile, I'm skirting the edge of it along the railroad tracks or the shoulder of the road to get to the cemetery.

Yes, I'm contemplating cleaning up "my" loop enough that it's not horrible walking. When I did it almost every day it was in pretty good shape. It currently starts (or ends) by going through my other big flower garden that hasn't looked like anything except an autumn olive grove for years. But it too could be redeemed. (I think the last time it looked nice was in 2003. You can see that garden here). But I did clean up the walkway enough to use it as part of the path. Of course it's covered wtih leaves right now.
path through a garden


When you get over to the back part of the cemetery, my trail used to go down this gully to get to the creek. Well, that could be a lot of work to clean up. So far, I've limited myself to loppers and the weed whacker to clear the trail. But I can probably work my way around the big trees and move the medium-sized ones. There was one big one that was totally across that gully, but it seems to be gone.
gully with fallen leaves


Once you get across the creek where it goes into a culvert under the railroad tracks, then my trail went north along what here is the left side of the creek. I walked that today, and it was kind of a mess, but not too bad. That is all city property, and I can walk there all I want. (I went the other direction today because I am currently going along the road to get to the city property. But that's SO noisy, I'd like to be able to stop doing that.) There's a fair amount of water in the creek.
creek in a gully


This loop is currently only about a mile, but if I can get it "restored," it was more like 1.5 or a little longer, with at least some rolling topography. I really like being able to just walk out the door and get a little exercise. The snow is mostly gone so I just walked in boots.

I couldn't sleep last night, but I did work out some more pieces of the plot for the mystery book. I did editing, pantry and kitchen work, and wrote. Current word count in Vacation from DMS is 21,136. Due to lack of rest last night I'll probably be going to bed early. Tomorrow evening is the main bell choir Christmas concert. Blogging will be late.

See My Trail Out Back

2 comments:

Ann said...

Keeping up with that trail looks like it could be a lot of work but well worth the effort.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- it's SO much easier to walk when it's cleaned up.