Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Trail Work Day

 I really wanted to get out to the trail to finish the clean-up on my section before I leave on my upcoming trip. The weather cooperated today. (Yesterday was even nicer, but it was too busy.)

Most of what I was doing was just clipping small branches that were growing into the trail. However, there were some other obstacles. The first tree down I easily pulled off to the side. The lighter stripe is dry, where the tree was lying across the trail before I moved it.
trail work


I wasn't so lucky on the second one. I couldn't budge this.
fallen tree on trail


I had the bow saw with me, and with one cut, then I could pull it to the side. It was oak and it was wet. Cutting that was not so easy, but I got 'er done. Had to jam another log under it, so the saw wouldn't bind. After it was cut through, then I could pull that piece off to the side.
trail work


The third one was a no-go. I trimmed things up enough so a hiker can get past it a little easier, but it's lengthwise in the trail with messy branches. I've notified the chain-saw crew.
messy tree in trail


Logs 4 and 5, I was able to again pull off to the side. Finished my section!

This evening, Om and I went to see The Boys in the Boat. You may remember it was on my list of best books read for last year. They've done an excellent job with the movie. Recommended.

North Country Trail near Tyndall Rd, and spur to Bear Track Campground. 4.2 miles

See P-P-P-P-Play Day

3 comments:

Ann said...

A busy day but sounds like you got a lot accomplished. That last tree does look like it would be a tough one to move.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "That's a lot of work you got done! I'm not sure I would want to be around the chainsaw crew, it sounds noisy ..."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I could have cut enough to get it out of the trail with my larger bow saw, but I really didn't have time. I got home just before dark as it was.

Lulu- I agree. I never got chainsaw certified because lots of other people did and I figured I didn't need to be qualified to do EVERYTHING.