Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Blue Ice - Day 71

  Today was awesome. The weather was mild, and we started by going through a property owned by the Buckeye Trail Association that was very pretty with nice off-road miles.

After that, we did more road miles. But these road miles are ones that prove that sometimes road miles are not a bad thing. You'd probably not pass by such high rocky cuts and outcrops in the woods. (Yes, I know we'll eventually be going through Hocking Hills where there are lots of these, but we enjoyed today for today.)

Only one of my pictures looks very blue, but several of the ice flows were quite blue in person. The blue color appears because the ice is very dense with few air bubbles. The red light penetrates farther and the blue light scatters. blue ice

It was another day where I could not stop taking pictures. ice flow

Each of us wanted to pose with caves and ice. I like this one. cave with ice

Denali chose this one. We each broke off a little icicle to suck on. Have you done that since you were a kid? Such fun! ice on rocks

I like knowing that these spectacular cliffs and caves are so "ordinary" that they aren't preserved in a park or state forest. ice on rocks

At the southern entrance to Hocking Hills, Big Icy Foot is hiking the NCT. I guess they wouldn't let him in the park either. ice sculpture wearing a North Country Trail hat

One of the treats in the BTA property was this lovely log cabin. log cabin

The utility companies are working hard. We saw some of the roads today that have been closed. Many, many trees down. When we were retrieving the second car this afternoon, the road was blocked by a crew. They said the road would be closed for 2 hours. I decided to walk the rest of the way up to my car. Then I'd just find a different way home, and Denali would turn around and go back. But they moved the trucks for us to get through! These guys have been working for days, and there are still people without power. Lots of new poles are going in, and lots of wire being replaced. We appreciated their accomodation. I'm sure they must be tired of all this.

We also were greeted by BTA hiker Richard Morgan! I can't believe I didn't take a picture. It was nice to meet him.

Miles today: 9.6. Total miles so far: 927.9

See Oddly Fun

6 comments:

Pioneer Spirit said...

Wished for a photo too. Perhaps it won't be another 12 years before we meet again.

Ellie said...

Beautiful pictures! I have been to Hocking Hills, but have not driven or hiking anywhere else in the area. If you can tell us what road you were on (with all the rocks and ice flows), I would really appreciate it.

Ann said...

I can certainly see why you couldn't stop taking pictures. It's beautiful.

Diana Harkness said...

I would like to know the route you took that was owned by the BTA. I have hiked in the area but avoid Hocking Hills State Park due to the large number of people there and the screaming children.

Sharkbytes said...

Richard- yes- I really am sorry. I've tried to take a picture with everyone who has come out to meet me.

Ellie- Liberty Hill Road

Ann- some days are like that!

Diana- It's on the BTA Old Man's Cave map, section points 23 to just a bit past 24

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Mmm, blueberry flavored ice!"