Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, February 6, 2022

Scioto Ice - Day 68

  We chose to do fewer miles again today because of snow and ice. For one thing, it made the driving time take longer because not all roads are cleared yet. Yesterday, we would not have been able to get a car to the end point we used today. We were mostly hiking in the Scioto Trail State Forest.

The ice on the trees had not yet melted off, but with the sun out all day it was gorgeous! Pictures just can't capture the beauty, but I kept trying. trees covered with ice

Vistas sparkled! trees covered with ice

I'm not sure I've ever seen ice crystals form on a dry rock before. ice crystals

I think my favorites are the black branches covered with ice against the deep blue sky. icy branches with blue sky
icy branches with blue sky


I got a lucky shot of a red-shouldered hawk! And you can really see why it has that name. red-shouldered hawk

We did see a few trees newly fallen on or near the trail from the ice, but only a couple were serious obstacles. Of more concern to us was that by early afternoon, the temperature was well above freezing and ice and twigs were raining down on us. We were glad we chose a mileage that got us out of the woods before that got any worse. We did one garbage-bag creek ford, and a whole lot of crossings where we were able to walk across on rocks and/or ice. One other creek would have bags, but we were able to follow it to a road culvert and get across. The trail should probably just be routed there.

Miles today: 8.4. Total miles so far 899.4 (what a squeaker- not quite 900)

Bonus section: Music!

Our hosts, Jeff and Kathy are musical, and we coaxed them into playing some songs for us last night. Before we were done, we got out a hymnal and had our own hymn sing. What fun, and I went to sleep with the strains of "Great is Thy Faithfulness" with cello and flute echoing in my head. Can't beat that! cello and flute player

See Lickskillet

8 comments:

Bruce Matthews said...

Where's your accordion?!?

vanilla said...

Outstanding beauty in those pictures!

Sue Teeters said...

Love your pictures!!!

Ann said...

Those ice covered branches against the blue sky are really pretty.

Barb Myckowiak said...

Beautiful pictures, especially the hawk! I’ve never seen a red-shouldered hawk that close!

Diana Harkness said...

Yes, Jeff played for us in high school. They also played at our wedding. Although, back then it was guitar and flute. But, Jeff is talented on many string instruments.

Lin said...

What beauty! I can only imagine it in person, but I bet it is lovely. Looks like you are postponed in the perfect place.

Sharkbytes said...

Bruce- NOT in my backpack!

Vanilla- thank you! Most of the ones I took aren't very good.

Sue- Thanks!

Ann- they are my favorite

Barb- I didn't know what kind it was, but when I saw the pic on the computer it was obvious!

Diana- we are discovering that

Lin- I'm really enjoying the off road miles