Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, July 9, 2022

Western Grebe - Day 221

  This was an exciting find for me. Not that I had to look very hard. There were quite a few of them in an area of fairly large, unnamed wetland ponds. This is a western grebe. The black color covers the eye and the bill is greenish. I guess I read in the wildlife list that they were here, but I hadn't really been looking for them. Now, look closely. Mom is giving her baby a ride on her back. western grebe with baby

This is a different western grebe. I actually saw this one first. I didn't know they carry the babies. I think junior got kicked off to have a swimming lesson and is protesting! I love this picture. western grebe with baby

I also saw a great egret. The black legs are the key feature to ID this one, so you know it's not a snowy egret or a white heron.
great egret


I forgot to tell you I heard a bittern yesterday. It was hidden in the cattails, but the sound they make is distinctive.

We had me out and walking at 6:20 this morning. West Michigan is supposed to be one of the most difficult places to forecast the weather, but I think North Dakota must be tricky too. No mention of rain. But I turned around to see this black shelf cloud forming behind me. They occur where two different fronts meet, and they can serve up thunderstorms and strong winds. This one only managed to cough out some rain. I got my poncho on in time, and had no issues. It still wasn't hot when I finished my miles. Success! shelf cloud

Today's lonely North Dakota picture is a sight you will see on many, many hills out here. But maybe mostly in the eastern part of the state because it's the first one I've encountered this trip. These vintage reapers are parked on hilltops where they look like rusty prehistoric birds. They seem to be either a Dakota joke, or shrines to an agricultural generation that has passed.
photo label


Miles today: 15.4. Total miles so far: 2670.1

See American Avocet

5 comments:

AsylumNut said...

Can't really decide which I enjoy more. Your pictures, or your description of your pictures. Either way, I look forward to both. Thank you!

Ellie said...

I agree with the previous comment -- both the pictures and the comments are amazing! I look for your post every evening and feel that I am getting to know you so well. Thank you for sharing for all us would be hiker.

Ann said...

I had to take a better look at the first picture. I never would have spotted the baby if you hadn't mentioned it.

Sharkbytes said...

Nut & Ellie- thanks!

Ann- I did not see it until I looked at the pic on the computer

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "Hmm, these birds look a little too big for us."
Chaplin: "We'll come back when there are smaller ones."