Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, September 7, 2024

Walking Tour du Ludington

 As promised, I went to the Mason County Garden Club fall plant sale. I bought several plants that I'll show you over time.

Then, I walked a big loop mostly around the north side of the city. I wanted to get in more miles today without driving farther away, and I managed 5.3 of them. Here's some of what I saw. I was particularly interested in gardens that still look good in September.

This is a formal setting, completely hidden by a hedge when walking one direction, but from the other way it's like a secret nook. I like it, even though it's completely green. Everything just works well.
formal garden


These dark hydrangeas are stunning. They are set off nicely by the hosta, although I see that the deer have been keeping some of those trimmed. (I'm told the deer in town are out of control.)
dark hydrangea


This kind, panicled hydrangea (the flower clusters are conical) have become quite popular, and the blooms seem to last well.
panicled hydrangea


The beach was deserted today. It was windy and chilly. The red light- for no swimming- was lit.
Ludington beach


The marina isn't deserted, but it's certainly not full.
ludington marina


I thought this was a really nice-looking garden with various textures and colors- both of flowers and foliage. I used to have some of that Red Baron grass, but mine was never happy. I would think the ferns in the back would prefer more shade, but they seem OK, except they are drying out now- not surprising for September. Most allium (the purple in the front) bloom in the spring, but this is nice. It may be 'Ozawa,' a fall bloomer. The bushes with pink in the middle are probably a spirea. I'm surprised they still have flowers, but I'm sure there are lots of varieties.


Here's a more typical commercial planting of annuals in front of the bank. Canna lily, impatiens, dusty miller, marigolds, and petunias. Nothing "interesting," but it's been kept nicely, and it still looks great.
commercial flower bed


This is the 37th year of the Ludington Petunia Parade. 30,000 petunias are planted each year along most of Ludington Ave, and along the Marina. Soon the plants will be pulled to keep the soil in good shape for the next year. There is some specific biological reason for this that was printed in the paper after a lot of complaints about the locals not getting to enjoy them very long after the tourists leave, but I don't remember what it is. Right now, they are still looking lovely. This is at the water treatment plant, and it just shows the colors nicely with a sign. Most are down at curb level.
Ludington Petunia parade


But. It is September. Hints of what's to come.
colored autumn leaf


I gave myself a break today and mostly goofed off after I got home. Shower, eat, etc. Played with garden records, and didn't do much that was required. A day off (on purpose) is good once in a while.

Miles hiked in 2024: 406.4

See Mini Tour du Ludington

3 comments:

Ann said...

Some very nice gardens there. Those hydrangea are beautiful. I've never seen them that color before.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Hmm, our beach doesn't have a red light for no swimming. They have flags. Unfortunately Mama and Dada don't know what the flags mean and they have to look it up every time, but it's not like they're usually planning on going into the ocean anyway ..."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I don't think I had either.

Lulu- maybe that's why they went for just a stoplight system here instead of flags. A couple of weeks ago, we also noticed that the lifeguard is no longer on a high chair. It's now mobile on the top of a van!