Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, September 27, 2024

What a Perfect Morning!

  Believe it or not, I haven't been paddling since 2017. That's hard to get my head around, but true. Well, I was doing a little hiking, and I have an issue with no rack for my car again. Pretty sure that date is accurate.
kayaker with blue sky


Anyway, friends Bruce and Jenny invited me to kayak on Round Lake, and they said they would bring all the equipment on their trailer. Can't turn that down!


The north side of Round Lake is not developed and we all enjoyed the "wild" feel. The quiet was wonderful. There were a couple of small boats on the lake, but it wasn't noisy at all. We loved the eroded roots of trees. This was the best. It looks like it's trying to climb out of the lake.
tangled tree roots


The colors of the day were blue...
view from a kayak with blue sky


and green.
kayaker by reeds


We did see a couple of kingfishers, but getting pictures of them is nearly impossible. However, this blue heron let us get pretty close.
blue heron


Got a decent picture when it took off.
blue heron flying


But it didn't go far. There are quite a few dead trees along that shore, and the birds love to perch in them.
blue heron in a dead tree


The trees are just starting to turn colors. This reflection catches the peaceful mood of the morning with hints of red.
reflections of trees in lake


I spent the rest of the day on my current pet project. I thought I might be sore becuase it's been so long since I've paddled, but not a bit. It was a lovely, lovely time.

See Kayaking the South Branch

No comments: