Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, September 28, 2024

Spirit of the Woods Hike, September

 It was a great day for a hike and a great day for National Public Lands Day. Our hikes are usually earlier in the month, but we chose to schedule it for this day because parking at the trailheads that require a pass was free today.

The Spirit of the Woods Chapter had 22 people and 3 dogs. The people ranged in age from those of us in our 70s down to a young man who is probably 11 or 12. He was a Scout, so I assume at least 11.


Along the way, we passed by the campsite created by a trail supporter on his land, more than 30 years ago. He can't hike any more due to an injury, but he welcomed us all in to the campsite and treated us with ice tea and cookies. You can't see them because everyone is clustered around the table grabbing stuff!
people around a picnic table


Here he is; this is Kurt. He was one of our charter members, and was actively supporting the NCT before we were even a chapter.
photo of a man


I was too busy talking to take many pictures. Besides, with this big of a group, we got strung out quite quickly. In fact, I was talking so much that the hike leader Glen had to point this out to me. This is actually pretty cool. It's the seedpods of Poke Milkweed, Asclepias exaltata. Link at the bottom to more pictures from another year. I really wasn't positive of the ID until I got home, because with only a few leaves and the seed pods, I thought there might be a couple of choices. But this one was on my list, and it is correct.
poke milkweed pods


After we finished the hike, Loren and I went to visit one of our former chapter presidents who is on hospice. His wife is doing all his care. It's a bummer all the way around, but it was nice to see them.

Miles hiked in 2024: 465.8. NCT miles hiked in 2024: 142.5

North Country Trail, Manistee Co, MI. Udell TH to Michigan Ave and back. 5 miles

See Poke Milkweed
See the welcome sign Kurt posted for me when I walked past on my big hike

No comments: