Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, September 9, 2024

Will Walk for Vegetables

 I've been trying really hard to walk almost every day, but it's hard to motivate myself to do roads. Also, I'm trying not to drive very far. Today's compromise was that I drove part of the way to a friend's house and then walked there and back to the car.

I went for a few tomatoes, but look what I came home with! Tomorrow... soup.
colorful vegetables


Neva did not want to be in the picture, but here is a tomoato plant. I'm telling you, there are not many smells better than veggies picked fresh from their plants. She wanted me to take more, but I don't want to get more than I can reasonably eat.
tomato plant


She also has a beautiful row of zinneas.
zinneas


Moving on to local agriculture. Here's an asparagus field gone to seed. Very common here- lots of asparagus farms.
asparagus field gone to seed


And more on the ever mysterious passtime of identifying wild asters. These are very similar except the white one has smaller flowers than the blue one. Yes, the second one is light blue. The blue of flowers often doesn't register well with a camera.

The white one is probably Small White Aster, formerly Aster vimineus or Aster racemosus, now Symphyotrichum racemosum. The flowers are larger than Calico Aster and the leaves are different. The stems are smooth and dark purple, and the leaves tend to curl downward at the edges. I'm never sure I'll remember all these details. And... so much for my opinion. The Michigan Herbarium does not show that species in Michigan. Possibly Panicled Aster Symphyotrichum lanceolatum although that one does not seem to have purple stems. I guess if I really care, I'll need to go back with a hand lens and take better pics.

Aster ID is fraught with issues. Decided I would leave my thought process as instructive.
panicled aster


Pretty sure this is Bushy Aster Symphyotrichum dumosum. Anyway, it's a pretty shade of light blue.


You know how it goes. I worked in the morning on projects, then walked in the afternoon. My gardens are being watered right now. I'm sure I won't walk as far tomorrow, but today I did 7 miles. Thankfully, there were patches of shade on some of the roads because it was pretty warm. Oh, and I did a load of laundry.

Miles walked in 2024: 418.2

See Bushy Aster

5 comments:

Ann said...

I didn't realize those were asters. I always liked them because they look like daisies.

Lin said...

The cucumbers are done for the season and the tomatoes are there too...although they won't admit it. Fall planting is moving ahead, which is cool. I have never lived where you can do another full season of planting. LOVE the zinnias. Emma and I both want to do a patch next year.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- if they are in the fall, they are probably asters.

Lin- yeah, I sure haven't lived where there were two seasons!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "I love veggies too! I get them by sitting quietly in my spot and waiting for Dada to toss them to me, though."

Sharkbytes said...

Lulu- that is good to hear. One of my old pooch friends named Butchy Boy II would bark until his Dada threw him a raw potato. Now they say this is bad for poochies. But BBII didn't read the report.