Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, August 22, 2026

Zucchini Chaffles

 I've been trying to cut down on the carbs for quite a while now. But I love my carbs. I have found a few good substitutes. This is one of them- zucchini chaffles. I made a batch this morning, which is 6 chaffles. That will be 6 breakfasts for me.
zucchini chaffles


Why am I doing this? I have my Granny's body type. This is the grandmother who competed with her brothers in goat cart races, played tennis in bloomers around 1900, rowed boats... Here she is on a horse when she was young and slim.

young woman on a horse in 1900

She climbed Mt. Marcy (highest point in NY state) in 1904.
woman on Mt Marcy 1904


But here's the thing. She stopped being active before I have any memories of her and became "just another" stout old lady (as to her body shape). Her health took a serious downturn when she was 76. I'm determined to fight off the stoutness. I don't like how I look that way, and more importantly, I don't like how I feel. I'm 78, so I'm already two years up on the loss of health. I weigh what I did in college, although gravity has distributed it a bit differently.

Fun fact- she was still vain enough to lace herself into a corset to try to hold the flab at bay. I remember being allowed to help with all the hooks and strings when I was a small girl. I thought that was fun. But I sure can't imagine wearing one of those contraptions!

My solution? Eat chaffles and salad and rabbit food. Cut down on sugar (I usually crave salt, not sugar anyway).

I'm in a dead heat obsession mode with the maps. Still 11 days of maps to go, but I can't make myself work on other important things until I have these done. Back at it now!

Miles walked in 2026: 296.9
Walked to the library and back.

See True Blue Gumby II

4 comments:

Ann said...

Well I think you would have a long way to go to be considered stout..I admire your determination to stick with it though

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- as I'm sure you know, when you are short it doesn't take much to look pudgy

The Oceanside Animals said...

Java Bean: "Ayyy, our Dada says there was a place near where they used to live in New York where they used to ride horses pulling carts like that! It was the 1900s, too. Maybe he saw your Granny there!"
Charlee: "How old do you think Dada is? It was the late 1990s that they lived there."
Java Bean: "That still counts as the 1900s though doesn't it?"
Charlee: ".... technically, I guess."

Sharkbytes said...

HaHa. I think this picture might have been late 1800s, 1905 at the latest!