Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, August 4, 2023

Chestnut Farm


I've been keeping my eye on this field for a lot of years. The trees were planted in 2002. I know that because there is a sign that was eventually put up telling the year. For a lot of years, without really looking as I drove past, I assumed it was a cherry orchard. The young trees were sticks of about the right size with the trunks wrapped to prevent rodent and rabbit damage.
chestnut orchard


But at some point that sign was put up explaining that this is a chestnut orchard! There is a website on the sign, but the address doesn't work. I tried to look up the farm, and it has a website, but it doesn't mention the chestnuts.

Anyway, I am seriously guessing these are blight-resistant hybrids. The leaves are long and slender with prominent teeth like American Chestnut.
chestnut leaf


But the backs are light colored where American Chestnut backs are dark green like the fronts, and the bud is shaped like Chinese Chestnut.
hybrid chestnut leaves


This is not very far from me at all. I need to visit at different times of the year to get pictures of them in bloom, and then when they fruit.

I learned today that Michigan is #1 in the country for commercial production of Chestnuts.

In other news: I got the snowblower out of jail- it has been at the repair shop awaiting a backordered part for way too long. I should have mowed some grass, but I didn't.

Bernie did 30 miles today, and is sleeping here one more night. His mouth is feeling better than it has for a long time, and he's pretty happy about that.

See American Chestnut in Michigan

2 comments:

Ann said...

Interesting. I've never heard of a chestnut orchard.
30 miles is pretty impressive.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- quite a few in the state