Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, August 10, 2023

Family Christmas 1969


I was locating and scanning slides almost all day. I am giving a program on Monday about my hike, but it's for a Girl Scout troop. When they found out I had been a Scout, and that it was still important to me, they wanted to add pictures about that part of my life. You may see some of those eventually, but I also found some family pictures.

These are Christmas 1969, at my parents' house in New York.

Mom doesn't look happy, I'm not sure why, but perhaps because what she has on her lap is fabric I bought to make her a suit. The suit was navy blue, but the lapels and cuffs were the plaid. As you can see, it was not yet a suit, and I'm sure she was pretty certain that it would never become a suit. However, I fooled her on that one. I did finish it, and she wore it quite a bit. It was double-knit fabric, revolutionary at the time. Dad just looks non-committal, a familiar look for him.
man and woman on a couch


This picture is ridiculously out of focus, but it's the only one with Om and me in it. I can't imagine why I was wearing a pink bathrobe. It must have been a gift from someone, and I didn't dare get rid of it too quickly.
Christmas 1969


We went to visit Granny at the nursing home. She would have been 87, almost 88, in these pictures, and she died when she was 91. She was alert, and clearly in charge of reading her own mail.
elderly woman reading mail


This is the nicest picture of her. She almost looks happy here. She wasn't happy very much after age 76 when her health declined. There is one more picture of her in the link below, that was taken on her 89th birthday. I can see a lot of change in that year and a month from the pictures here.
elderly woman


You know, she doesn't look as old to me at 75 as she did at 21. Haha.

Back to work on the program.

See Emily M. Rowe

4 comments:

Ann said...

Always nice to look back on old pictures.

Doug said...

Funny how our perspective of age changes. I can remember my grandmother telling me she was attending her 50th HS reunion, and I thought holy cow she must be ancient! Last year I attended my 40th HS reunion... I'm not even close to ancient.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "1969, wow, that makes for what our Dada would call a 'Throw Way, Way Back Thursday' indeed. Great pictures from the past!"

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- the passage of time makes the events better!

Doug- no kidding.

Lulu- I'll bet your Dada wasn't even born in 1969.