Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, August 25, 2023

Tiny Treasures


Today I spotted two hikers (see below) and then took a little hike myself to McCarthy Lake, a favorite place on our section of trail.
McCarthy Lake


The primary things to see were tiny gifts of the trail. I think this is white coral jelly, but it would have helped if I'd checked for a hollow stem. I always hate to break mushrooms. It doesn't hurt them, but then they are ruined for others to see them
white coral jelly


This is Gem Puffball, Lycoperdon perlatum. The book says these are edible, but I haven't tried them. I'll stick to the giant puffball for that. I really like the little spikes.
gem puffball


Indian Pipes are always a fun find. I'm always shocked when people tell me they've never seen them before since they are quite common. This is NOT a fungus or mushroom, but a parasitic plant with no chlorophyll.
indian pipes


Just the tiniest hint of fall. This leaf was only about a half-inch across.
tiny red leaf on green moss


Finally, the hikers, April and Rich. They were only doing a day hike, but they are in training for a backpacking trip, so they wore their full packs.
hikers


I did some other odds and ends, but nothing huge.

North Country Trail, Mac Rd to 3 Mile Rd and back. 4 miles.

See McCarthy Lake - Day 427

2 comments:

Ann said...

Cool treasures.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I love the little details like this!