Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Let There Be Light


Today was amazingly successful, but I had gotten things ready so that it could be. My computer went in for a newer, faster hard drive, so I organized the day to do things that did not need the computer.

One of those things was to mow the entire yard before I leave in a couple of days. I have done that much mowing in a single day before, but not very often. I usually spread it over two or three days.

I used to have some reflectors at the bottom of the driveway. But when we hooked up to city water last summer, they ran those down with trucks or machines or something. They were too bent up to fix. So... Omer has always said he couldn't see the end of the driveway even with the reflectors. But I was gone for a year, he hardly ever drives at night any more, and I hadn't had an occasion to do so, either, since I got home. Well! I did come home after dark last weekend, and I could not see the driveway AT ALL, and I have good night vision.

We now have some inexpensive solar lights lining the drive. Inexpensive is key. Things by the road get stolen or run over. I can't believe how often someone seems to drive over the lawn down there. Why? Anyway. Here they are after the mowing.
solar lights


And I waited until it was dark enough for them to turn on for this picture. Looks to me like it will help us find the driveway.
solar lights


I also got 7 boxes of stuff out of the house. OK, three of them were recylables, so they will be back. But it felt good anyway. Did other errands. Bought chocolate (the important item), post office, library, blah, blah. Now I'm working on an editing job.

Is the computer faster? Yes. Not blazing, but it's now tolerable. I was feeling seriously hampered in my ability to be productive.

Wonder if I'll be ready to leave when I want to.

See Mowed Yard

3 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Wait ... There are things that don't require the computer?"
Java Bean: "Ayyy, we do not understand."

Ann said...

Those solar lights look nice. I bought some cheap ones for my front yard. There were cheap and then there were seriously cheap. The seriously cheap are lasting longer than the cheap ones.

Sharkbytes said...

Java- I don't understand either. It was really hard to be without it for a whole day. Of course, I just spent more than a year going without it for even more hours of every day.

Ann- I tried to find the seriously cheap... but Walmart was out of stock. I didn't want to wait any longer.