Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, August 14, 2023

Girl Scouts Forever


So, tonight was my first program since the recent NCT hike. It went really well except it was by Zoom, which I hate. However, it did make the meeting possible since it was with Scouts from just outside Washington, DC. They are a Trailblazer Troop, which means they focus on outdoor activities.

Their leader contacted me about two days after I finished the hike and wanted me to speak to them. When he found out I'd been a Girl Scout, and that it was an important part of my life, he was over-the-moon excited, and wanted me to share about that part of my history as well as the hike.

Did I remember to hit "print screen" even once during the program to capture who was there? No... so, you will just be stuck with a few more pictures from my Scouting experience. Just so you know, if you wonder why I charge for these programs, the opening 1 min 40 sec, with the song "Girl Scouts Together" playing with pictures took about 20 hours to put together.

This is the Cadette Uniform, 1962.
Cadette Girl Scout Uniform


As part of Girl Scout Week that same year, another girl and I wore vintage uniforms to school. I'm on the left wearing a 1935 uniform, and Wendy, on the right, is in a 1929 uniform.
vintage girl scout uniforms


Here's one of the few pictures of me in the Senior Scout uniform, probably 1965. I really despised (stronger than hated) the straight skirt and avoided wearing it. But this was some event where I was in charge of some Intermediate Scouts and apparently had to wear it. Notice my red tie. That means I was also in a Trailblazer Troop. (Ordinary troops had yellow ties.) The GSA dropped Trailblazers and Mariners when I was in college, but have recently brought them back. It was pretty awesome to connect with some other girls who are eager to do things in the outdoors.
senior girl scout 1965


All I did all day was work on the NCT part of this program. There are still some tweaks, but I've got it in pretty good shape. My next program is in September NEXT WEEK.

See 1965 Girl Scout Roundup

3 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Ooh, I think there used to be a Girl Scouts camp up in the Adirondacks near where Mama and Dada used to live! Although Dada has never been there, for obvious reasons ..."

Lin said...

Your girl scout adventures were what I was hoping for in scouts--for both me and my daughter. But my experiences were so LAME! It was basically some moms coming up with crafts each week and camp was just a sleepover. No skills were taught--although I remember one kind mom who snuck us out on a hike to gather nature items for centerpieces for dinner. My daughter's troops were even more lame. Kudos to the leader who contacted you to speak to his troop! I'm guessing they are doing cool things.

Sharkbytes said...

Lin- they are- backpacking trips and more