Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, August 28, 2023

The $1 Marigold


In mid-June, after I finished the hike, I planted a dollar's worth of marigold seeds. I figured whatever I got would add a spot of color. Well, they did. It did. I got one, one spot of color!
marigold


The impatiens haven't recovered from being eaten a second time. That was probably asking a lot. Well, they were practically free, and the foliage looks better than weeds.

Here's one more gazania. They are doing pretty well.
gazania


The tiny coleus that was absolutely free because it was an accident in one of the other pots didn't get big, but neither did it get eaten.
coleus


I never did show you the plant I bought for the rock garden, but it wouldn't stand the sun. It's this vareigated ajuga. I really like the looks of it, and it's quite happy in the shade. The bronze one will tolerate the rock garden, but not this one!
variegated ajuga


And finally, I wanted to show you the flowers of one more hosta. I have no idea what variety this is, it was free long ago. Ordinary green leaves with narrow white edges.
green hosta with white edges


But it's another one with pretty flowers. The blooms in the above picture are past their prime. But when you look inside the blossom, they are neat.
hosta flower


As you can see, a lot of that bed did not get weeded for the second time. I may have time to do one more fall cleanup after I get home in October, but right now I'm focused on getting ready to head for New York.

More NCT work and some house cleaning today.

See How Are Those Annuals?

4 comments:

Ann said...

Your marigolds and my hydrangea are being stingy this year. I only got one bloom on my hydrangea and it's green,

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- that's funny!

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "I imagine it's pretty difficult to recover from being eaten. None of the gophers I ate have managed it yet."
Charlee: "That is a good thing! Nobody needs a zombie gopher apocalypse!"

Sharkbytes said...

Lulu- Zombie impatiens. Hmmm. Impatient Zombies? Sounds bad.