Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Buckeye Kudos - Day 36

  After yesterday's experiences, I didn't want to leave anyone with the feeling that I was trying to give the Buckeye Trail Association a black eye. So, today I'll show you some structures that have been installed that I was very grateful for. This bridge saves hikers from what would be a very messy scramble. Buckeye Trail Bridge

I was a little apprehensive as the trail entered a narrow opening between two bodies of water. That looked like a real potential for wet feet. But there was a boardwalk/bridge in the part that was where the wet areas joined. Buckeye Trail Bridge

This one is a real life-saver. The gully this spans must be where a culvert washed out. It was quite deep. I was exceptionally happy for this bridge. Buckeye Trail Bridge And, as shaky as this one looks, it was solid and took me safely over this channel. I didn't test the depth, but definitely deeper than I would have wanted to wade. Buckeye Trail Bridge

There have also been some efforts made to create legal places to camp along the trail, which is a constant problem in Ohio. This shelter, with bunk beds, is just north of New Bremen. I passed it yesterday Buckeye Trail Shelter

And I passed another today, south of Fort Loramie. There are very welcome additions. Even though I'm not backpacking, there are an increasing number of people trying to through-hike. Buckeye Trail Shelter

Now for a little transportation/engineering news. See the dark ridge showing through the trees that is about level with the hump in the road? That ridge was built to carry the canal across the Loramie Summit. Railroads can have a 2% grade. A canal with no locks needs 0% grade! ridge carrying canal

The next engineering feat is the dam at Lockington. There is no reservoir on either side because it is for flood control only. My big surprise was the that trail goes out to the middle of the dam and then down the other face! Lockington Dam

As I promised you, I started downwards toward the Ohio River today. Here is Lock 1 South, at Lockington. There are five locks in quick succession that dropped the canal 50 feet in under a half mile. You can see the remains of Lock 2 through the channel of Lock 1. Miami Erie Lock 1 South

And finally, here is a railroad abutment that carried a light rail line over the canal. I believe it was the Western Ohio Railway, an interurban company. I can't find them on line, but the railway atlas shows it. Western Ohio Railway abutment

Much to my surprise, today was lots easier than yesterday. The wind was stronger, but it was not as cold, and it was not full in my face much of the time. There were no major trail glitches, and where there were a few missing blazes, I located where I should be anyway without much trouble.

Miles today: 16.7. Total miles so far: 519.6.

See Loramie Summit

4 comments:

Bob Court said...

Did you register for the 100 mile challenge? You are at 48.3 YTD. Should hit 100 by the 9th or 10th. That will probably make you the first in 2022!

Ann said...

Glad to hear today was an easier day.

Unknown said...

Glad it was a better day! Nice variety of bridges, and great to see the shelters popping up. I backpacked the Manistee National Forest here in Michigan, and would love to backpack other sections, but it's not possible to do it legally with so much private land/town areas. I believe that's a primary reason the NCT has so few 'traditional' through hikers. April

Lin said...

I need a map to track where you are in the adventure! I can't believe you have so many miles in already. Keep on truckin', Joan!