Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Loramie Summit - Day 35

  Today, I started across the Loramie Summit. On this elevation map of the Miami-Erie Canal, it is that top plateau that looks long in comparison to the stairsteps on each side. The map is not to scale, but it is true that it is long. There is a 23-mile stretch of the canal where there are no locks because it is level.

I've been climbing steadily but imperceptably since leaving Toledo. I've climbed approximately 400 feet. Whoopie-doo! But when I reach Lock 1 South, I'll start descending toward the Ohio River. Loramie Summit map

Lets back up just a bit. At the end of the day yesterday, I passed mile marker 124, as measured from Cincinnati. Miami Erie canal marker 124

A short way past that, I reached Lock 2, and the village of Lock Two. There isn't much left there now, and even the lock (it was wood) is gone. However, this had to be a fairly important place on the canal at one time. There are three impressive canal era buildings, including this storefront. I haven't been able to find out any more history yet. Lock Two building

From there it was another mile to New Bremen, site of Lock 1. Technically, this is Lock 1 North because they are numbered in both directions from the Loramie Summit. This lock was originally made of white oak, but was rebuilt in 1910 with concrete. The city has now rebuilt it again for historic purposes, staying true to the first concrete construction. New Bremen is the southernmost city in North America where the water flows north to the St. Lawrence! Lock 1 North Miami Erie Canal

This statue, named "Partners," has been placed beside the canal. It's very similar to one in Syracuse, New York, but can't be the same because this one is quite new. partners canal statue

Also in New Bremen is a restored Locktenders House. It is now a museum. The locktender was on duty 24 hours a day! I'm not sure why it is so large. Maybe there were special duties here because of it being at the summit. New Bremen Locktenders house

From Lock 1 N, I began a trek across the Loramie Summit. I'll reach Lock 1 S tomorrow. Lake Loramie is manmade and served as feeder water for the canal. It had to get water right at the highest elevation from somewhere! Lake Loramie

Miles today: 15.4. Total miles so far: 502.9

BONUS SECTION: toughest day so far. Cindy says I should tell you why.

I don't have pictures that illustrate the bonus section very well, but I'm here to tell you that I am whipped tonight. First of all, there was a cold wind in my face most all day. Enough that there was resistance to walking.

In the morning, there was a mile of trail through unmowed grass that the ice and snow had somewhat flattened, but it was really difficult walking.

Then, on what might have been a nice mile of woods trail that cut over to Lake Loramie, there were lots of trees and branches down, and fallen walnuts, also making hard walking.

When I got close to the lake, the trail took a turn to go along a berm in a valley between the road and Loramie Creek. Bad plan. At this time of year anyway, this is a canal of its own. I crawled (literally) the 20 feet up the bank under the honeysuckle bushes and went out on the road. I think there are some canal structures to see near there, but I'll have to explore for them on another trip.

Completed a little road walk after going through the village of Fort Loramie and thought I was home free with only two miles to go on now forested towpath trail. Ha! The trail angled off the towpath berm. I wondered why. Answer- there was a fast-flowing creek with a broad overflow, way too wide to step across. I went back up to the towpath and followed it to the edge of a gully through which the creek passes. Like 15-20 feet deep. I managed to get safely to the bottom. It looked like I might be able to get across on some rocks. Nope. There was a bunch of rocks and concrete (probably from the culvert that once carried this creek under the canal). They were frozen in place. I got one loose and tossed it in near another. Tried getting across. OK, the good news is that I got across and didn't get hurt. But I slipped and got both feet totally wet, and one leg wet to the knee. Scrambled up the far bank with some difficulty. Glad there is no video of that shenanigan. I decided to keep going. I was so close to the end and a car anyway. Besides, the creek was now between me and the closest road.

Made it to the last mile without further incident. That last piece was through a huge campground with three gravel roadways. Big signs- Private property, follow the blue blazes. But, of course, there were not enough blazes. So I was using the app on my phone to pick the correct road. Ha! Followed the middle one, which seeme right, and got to the end of it where there was a very steep, raw mud/gravel bank down to the lower road which now had a nice bright blaze indicating I should be down there. My choices were to walk back, way back, or ahead to another access road. I walked ahead. Then I made a wrong choice. Beyond the blaze was a drainage ditch, but you couldn't see if there was a bridge. So I also crossed a culvert to get to that side of the ditch. This plan took me through an area where I ended up with about 2 pounds of mud on each shoe, and yet another creek to cross. I did get across that one with no problems. Then there was only about a quarter mile to reach Cindy.

We had a good laugh. It took me 75 minutes to walk the last two miles. That's pretty darn slow! I am warm and resting now, and hoping tomorrow has fewer challenges. I know there are going to be hard days, I didn't expect one just yet!

See Different Canal Stories

5 comments:

Beyond my garden said...

Walking on fallen walnuts is awful. A great way to twist an ankle

Sue Teeters said...

So glad you made it safe and sound, although very muddy. You have true grit, Joan! Just keep on keeping on!!!

Unknown said...

Wow - tough day, but will be a memorable one. What a Trooper! Hope tomorrow is less eventful, with better weather. April

Ann said...

Wow, that last bit was quite the adventure. Glad you finally made it.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "That sounds more like an obstacle course than a hike! We're happy that you got through it all!"