Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Bridges - Day 43

  Lots of bridges of various kinds today. This is a personal favorite. This is the Jeremiah Morrow bridge that carries I-71 over the Little Miami River. It's the highest bridge in Ohio at 239 feet above the water. Little Miami Jeremiah Morrow Bridge Little Miami Jeremiah Morrow Bridge This picture isn't very pretty, but it's a Fleming Deck Girder Bridge on the Little Miami Rail Trail. I thought it was kind of neat that they left the decking off this section where there had been either a siding or double track so you could see the actual bridge structure. Fleming Deck Girder Bridge

This one in Morrow is much more interesting, except that I know nothing about it other than that it's a through truss bridge where the railroad crossed Todd Fork. End and side views. Little Miami through Truss bridge Little Miami through Truss bridge

There are other kinds of bridges. This church was building bridges with trail users. I was really pleased to see this welcoming sign. church sign welcoming hikers

And bridges can also be a symbol of transitions. Big transition today. I have now met up with Denali and her friend Carl. Carl will stay a few days, and then Denali and I will be together for quite a bit of Ohio. And, stay tuned for another surprise in a few days as well. people at a table planning

The trailer was moved to a new location today. All is well, but it was a long day. The weather was gorgeous, and I cleaned out the landfill, otherwise known as my car, after I got to the new "home." We all went to a local deli to get sandwiches for dinner because we don't have the food preferences under control for cooking yet. There are going to be a few unorthodox days ahead, but I think we got it mostly sorted out this evening.

Miles today: 14.6. Total miles so far: 616.8.

See Day Off

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great variety of bridges! Enjoy the good weather and hiking with Denali. 💜 April

Fruitport said...

Every day I read your comments from the day before. I really enjoy your knowledge of the areas and the history lessons you teach. Thank you. Safe travels.

TJV-Mich said...

I like the other comments have enjoyed your narrative at the end of each day. I try to keep up on the location you describe using the NCT interactive map. The last few days have been really neat because the Little Miami Scenic Trail is on Google maps and they did a “street view” of the trail so you can see the bridges in a virtual way. I am amazed at the distance you have been in since December. Have you reached “epic” yet?

Magicity said...

Thanks for sharing always an interesting readwith my morning coffee.

CandZ said...

Joan, am missing our post hike chats. Always enjoy reading and learning more from your journey.
Mary and Carl, you both look so studious. Great to see you both had a safe trip north