Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, January 6, 2022

Why We Can't Have Nice Things- Day 37

  I'll start with the sad story from today and get it over with. This kind of stuff makes me nuts. Right along the trail (I was on the paved Great Miami River Recrational Trail all day) a church had set up a nice playground with this invitation. Reat and Play sign

Some people can't appreciate it when someone even tries to be generous and nice. They don't like this church? They don't like any church? They don't like the trail? They just thought it would be something to do because they could?

I'm sure things like this have happened since ancient times, but it seems like very few amenities can be left unguarded any more. vandalized playground

Now to better topics. Today was cold. The coldest so far with a high of 19 degrees. I really should have had on one more layer, even with little wind, but I managed to stay warm if I kept moving. So I hiked and snacked as I walked with only short breaks. That's the Great Miami River behind me. hiker

Today was also a big transition day. Cindy went home, and a new helper came- I'll take her picture tomorrow. We also moved the trailer by staging it at the trailhead where I ended. Then I walked to the car and trailer and drove it on to our next stop. We are with trail friends I haven't seen in a long time, so I'll share more about them later too.

Just a few highlights of the day. This labyrinth was in the Piqua Cemetery. Just seemed like something different to share that had some interest labyrinth

Piqua is another old canal town, also located on the Great Miami River. I just liked this old building, and the signs. Piqua Milling

Ohio is also known for covered bridges. This one, the Eldean Bridge, is just slightly off the trail (I'm pretty sure the trail used to go through it). This is 224 feet long, one of the longest in Ohio. It was built in 1860, and is the longest in the country that follows an 1830 plan that uses science instead of trial and error in the design. Eldean Covered Bridge

There were other historic bridges, some with better labels than others. This one is a Pratt Pony Truss bridge built in 1913 that was moved here to become a trail bridge. The Pratt Truss had diagonal supports that angle toward the center. I'm not sure what feature adds the word "pony" to the mix. They were popular, strong, road bridges often used before WWI. Pratt Pony Truss

I also crossed the Great Miami River a couple of times. Once was on a historic road bridge, and the other was a former railroad bridge. There was also a through truss bridge somewhere in there.

Miles today: 14.6. Total miles so far: 534.2

See Buckeye Kudos

6 comments:

Ann said...

It's sad that people have to do stuff like in that second picture. Very senseless.
That labyrinth is pretty cool

Ruth said...

For many years my only, rather dim, view of Ohio was created by driving I-90 and I-71 to visit family. It wasn't until we hiked the Buckeye Trail that I fully realized all Ohio has to offer a hiker. I am enjoying learning even more from your posts. Safe Travels.

Lin said...

Ugh. I don't like to see things destroyed for no reason. Now...I appreciate that the other photos that you posted showed that, for the most part, people create nice things for others and appreciate the past structures and preserve them. I like that part best.

The Furry Gnome said...

That labrynth certainly is something different. Looks beautiful.

Mary Ann said...

I continue to enjoy your sharing and inspirational efforts.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "In a park near us they have a beautiful and weird sculpture garden called Queen Califia's Magic Circle which is made of mosaics of tile and mirror and small pretty polished rocks, and they literally had to put a giant iron fence around the whole thing and cameras and keep it locked except for certain times on certain days, because people kept vandalizing it, prying out rocks and taking them, that sort of thing. I don't know why people can't just appreciate things without trying to take them apart."
Charlee: "Maybe the same reason you can't have cardboard without shredding it."
Lulu: "THAT'S CALLED RECYCLING!"