Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, September 3, 2022

Places to Sit - Day 277

  Yesterday I complained that there were only two places to sit along the trail all day and only 2 porta-potties. So today I wagered there would be 3 benches/picnic tables,and 2 porta-potties. I also guessed I'd see 15 trail users.

Marie hiked with me to this beautiful overlook of Oxhide Lake. All these lakes are old strip mining pits, but they sure are beautiful now.
Oxhide Lake

Right across the way was bench #1- an interesting design with old wheels for the ends. Then Marie turned around and went back to the car.
bench

In this picture you can see the trees growing through the tailing piles. It's interesting to me that very little soil has built up between the rocks. Mining operations mostly ceased in the 1960s. (Although there are a few active mines yet.)
trees growing on rock

The Mesabi Trail has a trailhead with an archway and a kiosk at each small town. This one has a picnic table, but no porta-potty.
Mesabi Trail trailhead

In the center of the arch is the trail logo with the name of the town. This is the village of Kewatin.
Mesabi Trail trailhead

They had a street festival going on with live music, vendors, and a classic car show. This was my favorite- 1951 Chrysler Saratoga.
1951 Chrysler Saratoga

The weather was nice. Around 70 with a light breeze. Pretty much perfect.

How did I do on the game? Wildly wrong on places to sit. There were 15 benches/picnic table locations. Of course, they weren't nicely spaced at one per mile. There was not a single porta-potty all day. One gas station. I might be unreasonable, but I really think there should be at least a porta-potty at trailheads. And I saw 7 trail users- all bicyclists today. I really thought I'd see more on a Saturday.

Miles today: 17.4. Total miles so far: 3274.3.

See Starting Mesabi & Month 10

3 comments:

Ann said...

It sure would be nice if they could have at least one porta potty out there.
Love that car.

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- It really seems like there should be at trailheads.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "I think strip mine is better as a lake than just a hole in the ground!"