Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Superior Hiking Trail- Here I Go - Day 287

  Today I started the Superior Hiking Trail. 320 miles to the Wisconsin Border. I won't get that done in September, but I'll do as much as I can.
SHT sign

This trail is known for its beauty and also its challenges. Early in the day I crossed the high point of the trail on Rosebush Ridge: 1829 feet. However, it's all closed in so there is no vista, and it's certainly not all downhill from there. This is an extremely hilly trail.

The first lake to pop into view was Jackson Lake.
Jackson Lake


The most well-known viewpoint on this section is called Hellacious Overlook, with views of Lake Superior (hazy today) and Farquhar Peak on the right, Supposedly on clear days you can see Isle Royale from here.
Hellacious Overlook

Then there are some more ups and downs and you pass Caribou Pond and a nice campsite. The SHT has a good number of decent campsites. You are supposed to camp only at these designated places.
Caribou Pond

I don't think the creek down in that wetland even has a name, but I like how different the space looks from the surroundings. It flows through that break in the far ridge and down to Lake Superior.
wetland stream

Caught another beautiful grouse that didn't seem concerned about me at all.
grouse

This scene wasn't typical. But there was a long strecth of puncheon and I liked the way it disappeared into these evergreens.
trail in evergreens


We didn't manage to capture a picture, but at the first rest stop where Marie turned around to go back to the car, a huge dragonfly kept landing on my head. It was as if it liked my hair. It felt weird, but not scary or anything.

Miles today: 14.3. Total miles so far: 3404.3.

See Resting

2 comments:

The Oceanside Animals said...

Charlee: "Forest chicken!!!"

Classicdan1965 said...

I just did that section to Grand Marais 2 weeks ago. Be careful on the unstable puncheon especially when it's wet.