Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, June 26, 2009

Goatsbeard - the Ends of the Story

 

goatsbeard budsI first showed pictures of this flower on June 5, quite a little dialogue ensued because another blogger, Dances of Dreams, had a yellow flower in bud that she was trying to identify.

Because of that whole discussion I realized that it's not always (ever?) obvious what the buds of some fully opened flower might look like. So I've been looking for examples of the buds and seeds of the Goatsbeard Tragopogon pratensis, and now I have them.

See the long thin buds concealed in plain sight against the grass? When this flower first begins to grow it can really hide!

goatsbeard bud openingWhen it starts to open then it's much easier to see against a green background! The middle of the life story is at The Yellow Flower.



I guess one reason I like this flower is that the seed head is such a surprise to me. It's easy to see how a dandelion can make a spherical mass of seeds with "silk." These flowers look too simple to me to produce this spectacular seed head, which can be 3-5 inches in diameter!

goatsbeard seed head

Finally, here's a closeup of one quarter of the head. I just love the symmetry in it!

goatsbeard seed head

Tomorrow will be this month's contest for a free ad. Get ready to guess or research some more new words.

P.S. I've added an update at the bottom of yesterday's post.

See The Yellow Flower
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


6 comments:

rainfield61 said...

The close-up shows a good geometry of the flower.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I love those seeds I would say that I think I've seen those before, but I'm the one who misidentified the other flower last time. :)

Now I'm off to try and find some answers for the contest. As you might be able to tell, I'm already running late.

Sharkbytes said...

rainfield- The symmetry in nature is really astounding. Plants are phenomenal.

Ratty- I bet you've seen them- very common as to quantity. Good luck... don't forget to send in your entry.

A Lil Enchanted said...

My lil one loves the dandelion seeds... she calls them "wish berries" : )

Did you know that dandelion greens can be eaten in salad?

~A Lil Enchanted~

Sharkbytes said...

Hi Lil- Thanks for stopping by. Your little one is very cute! Yes, dandelion is very good. This plant, however, is not edible.

Internet said...

Very nice pictures, I will put it as my screen saver in my laptop