Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, June 5, 2009

The Yellow Flower

 

goatsbeard

OK, this is an alien plant, even one of real concern in portions of the Pacific Northwest. But I've always liked it. Its common name is yellow goatsbeard, or meadow salsify. In binomial nomenclature it's Tragopogon pratensis.

goatsbeard

The flowers are tall, and about 2 inches across. They tend to close in the full sun of mid-day. The roots of many of its relatives are edible, but I don't think this one is. The seed head is like that of a giant dandelion.

Nowhere for Mr. Hyde to Hide if you are brave and want to read something more personal
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


10 comments:

betchai said...

it looks like an alien amongst the greens, but a beautiful alien though.

Bogie said...

Lovely photos!

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Hi betchai- They do always stand out!

Bogie- Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to come find pretty pictures any time you like!

Rick (Ratty) said...

Wow! I saw what I think is the same type of flower at another blog. Her pictures must have been taken at mid-day because like you said it is closed up. I recognize the dark parts in the middle. They are nice looking flowers. Those dark parts are what make me like them.

Here's where I saw it in case you want to check it out: http://www.dancesofdreams.com/2009/06/yellow-wild-flower.html

I'll give her a link to your post so she can see what her flower is.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Hi Ratty- Well, that other blog's yellow flower is certainly interesting, but not this plant, or even a close relative. I wonder where she lives

Rick (Ratty) said...

She is from Detroit. She takes a lot of great pictures from Belle Isle. I hoped it was the same flower, but I still know close to nothing about flowers so far.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharkbytes,

Ratty gave me the link to your site, and your yellow flowers are very beautiful and unique.

But I don't think my yellow wild flowers are the same as yours. Though the middle part looks similar.

I'm from Metro Detroit..

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Hi IcyBC- I pout a suggestion on your blog as to what I think your flower might be. Thanks for stopping by!

Julia said...

I know this plant all to well too. We have it here and it does not seem to be gaining in the aggressive weed category. But we have plenty of others like yellow star thistle, Italian thistle, and German ivy to name a few. And the grasses... there are too many weedy ones to list. :(

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Goatsbeard one of my favourite flowers it is native here so not a problem, we also call it Jack-go-to-bed-by-noon.