Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, October 7, 2013

Once in A Lifetime? Pink Indian Pipe

 
Indian Pipe, Monotropa uniflora, is a rather common parasitic plant of the northwoods. I really like them. They pop up in the most dismal and unlikely places in the woods. Since they don't have chlorophyll they don't need any sunlight. Here's their normal color. Plain white.

indian pipe

On the little hike at Joe Wheeler State Park (Alabama), on the birding trail near the blind, one little clump of rare deep pink Indian Pipe almost didn't get noticed. I've never ever seen it before; had only read about it. If anyone else has noticed they may not have taken pictures, because I carefully cleaned some of the leaf litter away to show it off better.

pink indian pipe

Even though it was only one clump, I took pictures from several angles. At least I had enough knowledge to know how unusual this is.

pink indian pipe

It's just a total "WOW."

pink indian pipe

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!

4 comments:

Ann said...

I've never heard of it before but how cool that you found that.

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Oh my gosh, I've never seen the pink Monotropa ~ it's beautiful! I judiciously collect the white Monotropa uniflora once every 5 to 7 years for Medicine making. It's powerful Medicine! And like you, I admire it. :)

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- you've never seen white ones either?

Rose- It was phenomenal! Not familiar with medicinal qualities.

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Not one we get Joan, would love to see it.