Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Beautyberry

 
Someone in Alabama asked me if I had seen the shrub with the clusters of bright purple berries yet. I couldn't imagine what he was talking about. I asked if he meant pokeweed. Nope. He called them beautyberry, but I didn't know any plant by that name.

Silly Yankee me... it's a southern thing (thang). It really is called beautyberry, Callicarpa americana. The shrub is small, the one I saw was kind of straggly.

beautyberry

But the berries are extraordinary! They look as if they are made of pearly glass.

beautyberry

I'd never seen them before (or heard of them), but I've never been in the south in October before, either!

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


3 comments:

Duxbury Ramblers said...

Amazing colour. Are they edible?

Ann said...

those berries are pretty. I was also wondering if they were edible

vanilla said...

What a necklace those would make for m'lady, if they could be preserved in a hardened state without loss of color.