Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

River Rat!

 
No, not a sports team from anywhere. This is the real deal- a muskrat in the Pentwater River. I was quite a bit above it, so had to zoom in a lot, but you can see the skinny, naked tail.

muskrat

I just like the shapes of the ripples it made as it was swimming upstream.

muskrat

Every so often it would come toward the bank and appear to sample some bit of vegetation.

muskrat

These pictures aren't nearly so good as the ones I got in Furry Swimmer, Part 2, but I was happy to see one of these critters. Although they are very common, I don't actually see one very often.

if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


5 comments:

vanilla said...

Father told me he obtained a good bit of pocket change by trapping these rascals during his high school years. We had a colony of them along our lakefront place. I just enjoyed watching them, never trapped them.

Secondary Roads said...

The ripples are very interesting. On the upstream side they are compressed. Downstream they are elongated. A very notable effect.

Ann Thompson said...

He did make some pretty ripples in the water.

RNSANE said...

Wow, I've never seen a muskrat before. They are certainly good swimmers!

The Oceanside Animals said...

hello sharkbytes its dennis the vizsla dog hay that luks like sum sort of ally of the kung fu beavers wot i got into a dustup with that wun time!!! gud ideea to stay bak and just taky pikchers with the telefoto insted of approatching within rayndj of its weppons!!! ok bye