Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, November 15, 2019

Four and Twenty (and a Hundred) Black Birds

 
You will notice I said "black birds," and not blackbirds. These are starlings. And like starlings always do, they swoop in by the hoard. I tried to count and there are something over 130 birds on these trees.

starlings in a tree

And soon after they swoop in, they swoop out!

bare tree at sunset

In other news: I was at a local store all day with my books. I didn't have great sales expectations, but I sold one book and visited with several people. I took my computer and got quite a bit of editing done. I'm surprisingly tired. Tough crunchies! Tomorrow I go to Traverse City for the Women's Expo. At least my back has stopped hurting from the shoveling day.

See My Low Budget Black Taco Ad
if you like this blog, click

Like This!


2 comments:

Ann said...

I've had my yard filled with starlings before. Where there is one there is a hundred other. I like the sky behind the tree in the second picture.

Secondary Roads said...

It is common, in late summer, for a murmuration of young starlings to descend on our lawn. They carefully scour each inch for food. It doesn't take long because of their numbers. Then they are gone.