Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Just Another Dirt Road? - Day 155

  I walked across this dirt road today. So what? I've walked across hundreds of dirt roads. But this one is special to me. This is Fisher Settlement Road. A few miles south of here are a couple of very nice houses that are pretty much all that is left of Fisher Settlement. Some of you who are long-time readers of this blog might be thinking the Fisher name sounds familiar. My grandmother was a Fisher. She was at least the third, maybe fourth generation of Fishers to live in Fisher Settlement. She grew up in one of those two mentioned houses, and lived part of her adult life in the other.

I LOVE it that MY trail crosses MY family's road. fisher settlement road

The only other real news of the day was thick fog for a short period of time. That was a bit eerie with the world so gray beyond the trees. foggy woods

It rained all day long. I've decided that when I'm wearing this poncho my name shall be Not So Big Bird. I've never liked ponchos, but I may be reforming.
photo label


Tomorrow I have a big surprise to share. Stay tuned.

Miles today: 16.2. Total miles so far: 1999.2.

See Lick Brook Falls & Elaine

7 comments:

Ellie said...

wow! You will reach a milestone tomorrow. I hope you get to celebrate in style. Beautiful picture of the fog. I actually like hiking in fog, assuming I can find the trail. Very cool that you crossed the road with your family name. Definitely a special day.

Unknown said...

How cool that we just saw the Fisher and Hull area yesterday & you got to cross it. Yes tomorrow will be a land marker day!! Oh there was fog just above my valley today - you must have met it in your travels - God bless, Elaine <3

Ann said...

Well that is a special dirt road.
I'll take a poncho over being soaked through any day :)

Arta said...

What an amazing walk 'home' from here in West Michigan.

Sharkbytes said...

Ellie- it was!

Thanks, Elaine!

Ann- I used to prefer being soaked

It is like walking home, isn't it?

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "It is very cool that your family has such ties to that road! Also, Dada says it reminds him of the roads he used to like to ride his mountain bike on when they lived back in New York. I think he misses them!"

Beyond my garden said...

Love the Fisher story.