Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, May 29, 2022

Oak Mountain Again - Day 180

  The day began with a beautiful, misty sunrise on Pillsbury Lake. But I was not sorry to leave the blackflies behind.
lake sunrise


We've waited so long (42 years since the trail was authorized) to have a route, or even encouragement in the Adirondacks. You have no idea how happy it makes me to see the NCT recognized on trail signs. They aren't everywhere yet, but getting a "toe in the door" will lead to allowing more markers. NCT trail markers

There were a few miles of road walk in the middle of the day. These miles were known to me. In fact, I camped along a section of this road in Sunny. You may remember I joined a weekend work crew in August 2020.

Butterflies often like to congregate near damp spots on dirt roads. Easy to get a nice picture of a tiger swallowtail. Common, but beautiful! Tiger Swallowtail

After I crossed Route 30, the trail joins a snowmobile trail that Mary Coffin and I scouted on that same weekend. There is a really nice bridge across Hatchery Brook. Hatchery Brook Bridge

This is all legally blazed with NCT blue strips now. It was wonderful to have no trouble following the trail! At the top of the hill, the trail turns down to cross Oak Mountain Ski Resort property (really only a hill). Look at this sign and blaze! This is the sort of thing we'll need a lot more of to complete this trail. The key words here are "Protected in perpetuity by trail access easement." That means legally protected. Big stuff. trail easement sign

I followed the markers down the hill on trail I helped build two years ago! This is looking back from the bottom. The trail comes down the edge of the tree line on the left. Oak Mountain

The Oak Mountain owners are friends of the trail. They had let me leave supplies there to pick up. Oak Mountain Lodge

I was going to stealth camp up near the snowmobile trail and just drop down to the lodge in the morning to get my supply drop. But I had used my power pack to charge my phone several times, and I knew it would need several hours to charge so I preferred to reach the lodge for overnight. I called Paul and Shirley (they live 30 miles away), to see if they would be my backup if the Oak Mountain folks would not let me camp near the lodge. That's not really in their agreement. Shirley said, why don't we just come pick you up for the night?

Silly me, I said no, I'd be fine. But the snowmobile trail was very hot in full sun. I finally realized I was a complete dope. I called Shirley and told her I'd be glad to spend the night with them if they were willing. Good call! There was a family reunion going on at the lodge, and the owners weren't even there.

I forgot to take any pictures with Paul and Shirley because we were having such a good time talking, and looking at maps, and all that sort of thing. (And they supplied a shower and a nice meal.)

Miles today: 13.4. Total miles so far: 2288.3

See West Canada Lake Wilderness

No comments: