Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, May 27, 2022

Wolf Creek- Day 178

  The beginning of this day was all on dirt roads. The road junctions were well marked, for which I was grateful. Adirondack Road Junction sign

Sure enough, at Red River, I began to see many designated campsites. These are for car campers. Each site ideally has a picnic table, a latrine, and a stone fireplace. In reality, most sites randomly had two of the three, or several broken items. This is a very popular area for weekend family campers. It's possible that my stealth camp the previous night wasn't illegal. The DEC site isn't too specific, but I think dispersed backcountry camping is allowed. campsite

I took a break at one of the sites (broken picnic table, no fireplace, marginal latrine), and a ranger drove by. When I started walking again, he was coming back the other way. I flagged him down and asked him about the condition of the trail to Wolf Creek. I'm feeling gun shy about off-road trail, in case you can't tell. He said it was passable and marked as NCT. He said he, personally, went through last fall and helped put up the markers. I also asked about the condition of the bridge over Wolf Creek, and he said it was there. He also mentioned a nice clearing just past the bridge where I could camp.

At the end of the road... big smile on my face! An actual NCT emblem in the Adirondack woods. And, I was not going all the way to Wolf Pond, but only to Wolf Creek, another 2 miles. NCT emblem in Adirondacks

Well, there just had to be some challenge for the afternoon. This was one of the harder climbs, going up about 500 feet. That wouldn't have been too bad, but a lot of the trail was the typical Adirondack, rocky, washed out trail/creek, so the going was slow and difficult. rocky trail

Near the top, the bedrock broke out in some places, which reminded me a lot of Minnesota- similar volcanic geology, so I shouldn't have been surprised. open bedrock

It took me almost 2 hours to go those two miles, but sure enough, there was a nice bridge at Wolf Creek. Wolf Creek Bridge

I was glad, because looking down from the bridge, the creek was rushing through rocks below me. Wolf Creek

It would have been fine, though, because upstream was a nice placid spot where I filtered water. I could have crossed there, but I didn't have to! Wolf Creek

Sure enough, there was a clearing just past the bridge, but I didn't like it. It was right beside the trail, it had berry bushes, and was in full sun. However, I poked around in the woods behind that clearing, and there was another clearing. It had either been a cabin site or a dump. There was all kinds of rusty junk piled around. But it was hidden from the trail and there was plenty of open space for a tent. I'll spare you another picture of the same tent in brown woods, but this was a really nice place.

Miles today: 13.5. Total miles so far: 2263.1

See Road Walk

2 comments:

Sue Teeters said...

Good you were able to talk with the ranger so he could give you some helpful trail information. Things do seem to work out, one way or the other. Happy trails, Joan. Stay safe.

Ann said...

Nice that the ranger was able to give you some insight into what you would find.