Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, October 14, 2022

And So It Begins - Day 318

  This is what a "chance of snow mid-day" looked like here. It was gorgeous but sloppy.
snow on yellow trees

The trail changes character often, but each section seemed even more different with a blanket of white.
rocky trail with snowy evergreens

The North Shore doesn't have many autumn reds, but this one is bright.
red tree with snow

This is just an aging shelf fungus, but I thought it looked appealing.
shelf fungus

After I passed the campsite where he stayed last night, I could follow Jason's footprints! We were the only two walkers for a while.
footprints in snow


Annie hiked out to meet me, so I had company at the end of the day again. You can see that the snow is mostly gone by this time.
hiker

The trail in the morning was very slippery, and I had multiple "slip and sit" events. They aren't really falls, but your butt still ends up on the ground. By afternoon, most of the snow was melted. It was still wet, but not as slidey.

The most requisite mindset for long-distance hikers is flexibility. Annie has had something come up this evening that means she had to go back home immediately. I was going to move the trailer AND walk tomorrow.

And some of you know that Omer has had major car trouble, and he won't be arriving on Monday to help. He was going to stay for 2 weeks, but he probably won't get here at all.

So I'm scrambling. I think I'll just move the trailer tomorrow and not hike. It's supposed to rain in the morning anyway, but I wasn't planning to take a day off this soon. And, it will mean that I have to do two sections out of sequence because I am meeting a journalist on Monday at a specific place. However, this gives me some extra time to work on these needs. I have someone to spot me for Sunday, and maybe Monday...

So, for tomorrow at least, no alarm clock!

Miles today: 14.8. Total miles so far: 3668.6.

See Goodbye to Jason

3 comments:

vanilla said...

Pictures are pretty, but just "no" on the snow.

Ann said...

Oh no, not snow already. We are supposed to be getting temps that are almost cold enough for it next week.

Sharkbytes said...

Vanilla- I'm afraid I'm going to be seeing a fair amount of it sooner than usual.

Ann- see comment above