Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Split Rock - Day 315

  Jason and I stuck together again today. Our paces are surprisingly matched. There were some pretty good climbs and views again, but I guess what impressed me the most was the intensity of the colors in the sun.
fall colors

Sometimes the world is better upside down.
reflection

The trail used to go past Split Rock Lighthouse, but now it goes a long way up river. However, you can still get one view of the Lighthouse.
Split Rock Lighthouse

This waterway is extraordinarily scenic. This double waterfall is visible as you walk upstream.
Split Rock River

The biggest challenge of the day was that we had to ford the Split Rock River. There have been multiple bridges here, and they have all washed out in spring floods. I had my sandals with me, and the fact that the day was quite warm made it easier to face wading through the very cold water. Jason managed to rock hop, but my legs were too short.
Split Rock River

Annie was waiting for us on the other side. That was welcoming, and it made the last two miles to the car seem to go faster, since we were pretty tired by then. At least I was!
hikers on a rock

On the way back downstream, I began to doubt my memory of the route because I'm pretty sure I've seen some of these features before, particularly these rock columns.
Split Rocks


There were red shale walls and waterfalls, pools, rapids, calm water... a beautiful ending to the day.

Miles today: 13.6 that count (plus 0.6 on a spur). Total miles so far: 3629.8.

See Oops or Opportune?

No comments: