Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, October 3, 2022

To McFarland Lake - Day 307

  This was our last day of backpacking. We couldn't have had any better weather. Clear air and blue skies. Pine Lake in the morning was northwoods perfection.
Pine Lake BWCAW

When we were in deep forest, the bright light shone through openings making the trail look like portals to magical worlds.
sun on dark trail

Just a few more lakes to pass. This is John Lake, which was followed by Little John. But I didn't get a good picture of that one.

Perhaps they look a little tired, but I think it looks like we've been backpacking, and it's nice to have the sign. Bill and David. Hey, we had a right to look tired!
hikers

A vehicular bridge crosses the waterway between Little John and McFarland Lakes. This is almost at the end of the Arrowhead Trail (a road). And this is where we had two cars parked. David's was there because he had to leave to be home in time for another commitment. Bill's car was also there so that he and I could go get my car and spot it for the next day's hiking that he and I would do as a day hike.
McFarland Lake


Bill and I set up camp. This is an established campground with picnic tables, room to park, a fire ring, and an enclosed latrine (not a wilderness latrine). David headed to Grand Marais to try to find lodging for the night, and to find a place we could meet for dinner. Finding places that are open in October is tricky.
McFarland Campground

Then Bill and I drove back to just off the Gunflint Trail to get my car. But look what we found!
moose eating

She wasn't at all concerned with the cars that had all stopped with people snapping pictures of her eating dinner. When she lifted her head from the water, all drippy, she looks shiny and plastic. I assure you she was quite real. She really wanted those yummy muddy weeds.
moose

One last meal together- not muddy weeds, and Bill and I parted ways with David. I think it was a cohesive and cooperative backpacking group. The guys had not known each other before this hike, but they got along well. And we all had enough experience that nobody felt like they didn't fit (Well, I suppose I shouldn't speak for the guys, but they seemed comfortable.)
eating in a restaurant


Miles today: 7.6. Total miles so far: 3581.9

See Mostly West Pike

2 comments:

Ann said...

The moose was a rather cool sighting.

Chris Anderson said...

Many (if not most) trails are portals into new worlds. Thank you so much for sharing your journey! :-)