Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Sunday, October 16, 2022

Still Colorful - Day 320

  Although the snow brought down most of the leaves on the taller aspen trees, there is still plenty of color in the woods if you look a little more closely.

This is an area that is regenerating with aspen. I thought this was an amazing array of colors in just the one species of tree.
young aspen in fall

The young red oaks are demonstrating what red means.
red oak in fall


Maple leaves are falling but keeping their color, simply transferring the gold to the ground layer.
yellow maple leaves

I'm always a sucker for pictures of turkeytail fungus. I love how creamy this one looks.
turkeytail fungus

Sometimes moss is so intensely yellow-green it almost hurts the eyes.
bright moss

Finally, this beaver pond had so little color, the photo looks almost the same in black and white. Therefore, I did change it to B&W. Don't squint too hard hunting for subtle colors.
beaver pond

It was drizzly and cloudy all day. There wasn't enough precipitation to make much difference for hiking. It was chilly, but I had on enough layers, and I can definitely walk faster when it's cool. Tomorrow is supposed to be even colder, but with some sun. That works too.

Finally, I met the largest group of backpackers I've seen yet on this hike (Well, maybe there was a larger group of Scouts in New York, but that was a while ago, and they were only hiking a mile!). These people came from St. Paul for the weekend. I asked if they were a hiking club, but they are just friends who like to go out together. The oldest was 70, and he got a kick out of the idea that I was also about his age.
backpackers

The trail today was pretty easy- fewer rocks and fewer hills. I was ready for that.

Miles today: 16.0. Total miles so far: 3684.6.

See Moving Day

3 comments:

Ann said...

What a huge contract in color between the first few pics and the one from beaver pond.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "So pretty! You don't see colors like that here! Well, I mean, I don't see colors like that at all, because I'm a dog, but according to Dada, you don't see colors like that here ..."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- It sure was

Lulu- Tell Dada to get off that fault line and head back to the north!