Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Monday, October 31, 2022

Chequamegon Day 4 - East - Day 335

  We have pretty much finished the Chequamegon National Forest. Tonight you just get a fast post with some nice pictures. I solved 3.5 "real life" problems this evening, and I'm running out of time.

These nice stepping stones have been placed across Whiskey Creek. This is a great solution instead of a bridge in streams that don't get major flood flows.
crossing Whiskey Creek

Beaver Lake is very large with an official Forest Service campground. However, that's down a spur, and we weren't taking side trips today if we didn't need to. That meant we didn't get any super clear views of the lake, but this one isn't bad.
Beaver Lake

Next up was Lake Three which is much larger than what you see here. The main body of the lake is beyond that narrow opening.
Lake Three

We took a nice rest stop at the Brunsweiler River. This has a major Forest Service Bridge. There were good rocks to sit on too.
Brunsweiler River

Most of the leaves are down now, but in some places they are still golden brown. They glow in the sunshine. I know this good weather isn't going to last much longer, but I'll sure take it for now.
autumn in woods

The biggest surprise of this area for me has been that I did not remember so many rock formations. This is reminiscent of Ohio in the way it looks, but not in terms of what's actually there. As has been true since Minnesota, these are volcanic rocks that were uncovered by the glaciers. In Ohio, the rocks were the sedimentary layers of the Allegheny Plateau.
Wisonsin rocks

I am incredibly happy to have one technical issue solved that I've been trying to get straightened out for almost two weeks. In fact, that is such an upper that I've almost forgotten how tired I was after hiking today.

Miles today: 16.1. Total miles so far: 3914.4 (over 3900... and you can see what the next 100 will get me to)

See Chequamegon- Marengo

5 comments:

Ellie said...

Beautiful scenery --m love all the lakes. Thank you for sharing your great photos. Are they all with your phone?

Ann said...

The picture 3rd up from the bottom would make a good postcard.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Technical difficulties still happen even out on the trail, eh? There's just no escaping them I guess!"

Classicdan1965 said...

Beautiful section. The rocks and terrain are much more visible without the foliage. The stepping stones reminded me of the nice job they did at Pincushion Mountain near Grand Marais to cross small streams.

Sharkbytes said...

Ellie- I have a Canon Powershot camera

Ann- thanks!

Lulu- well, if I'd stop trying to use technology they probably wouldn't bother me ;)

Dan- I had forgotten how beautiful the Chequamegon is.