Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Tuesday, October 31, 2023

First Snow and History


Today was the first snow of the year, although it's not amounting to much. Compare my backyard to yesterday! I like the blue dusk, and it looks twice as wintery.
a dusting of snow at dusk


I spent the afternoon in Ludington doing some errands and then research for Vacation from Dead Mule Swamp. This is the Daniel Goodenough house, built in 1888. Goodenough first operated a grocery store, and then became a manufacturer. Here, the house wears a decoration of fluffy flakes. This is part of the East Ludington Avenue Historic District which is stuffed with huge mansions built by the lumber barons.
Victorian mansion in snow


One of the oldest commercial buildings still standing was built in 1887. This is in "Fourth Ward," the section that was the original center of the city- nearer to the harbor of Pere Marquette Lake. It is currenty a business called Love Wines, a small batch winery that uses mostly local grapes.
Love Wines, Ludington


Most unusally, I woke up this morning with a blazing headache. I still got my editing done, but it took longer than usual. I felt pretty much all better by about 1:00. Bell choir practice in the late afternoon.

See My Backyard Yesterday

3 comments:

Ann said...

We had a short snowfall Monday night with no accumulation. Woke to a winter wonderland this morning.
That's an impressive looking house

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "That is quite the castle there. I bet that round room with all the windows is a great place to sit and read!"
Charlee: "Or just, you know, lie in the sun ..."

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- there seems to be greater accumulation to our south!

Lulu and Charlee- tower rooms are good for many things