Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Home via Ann Arbor


I was going to spend a night with Ester, but she was in Ann Arbor! So I went home that way and she and I (and two other friends from Matthaei Botanical Garden days) had lunch together. I haven't seen Ester in over two years.
friends


Our lunch spot was about 2 blocks from where Bill lives. Go figure. So Bill and I did a 3 mile hike in the Bird Hills park. I used to walk Maggie there before she was mine. That's how long ago I was in that area.
hiker


We walked to Barton Dam


and Barton Pond


and back to the car.

About halfway home from there I just couldn't stand driving at 70 mph, the aggressive drivers, and the noise any more. So I got off the interstate and worked my way home on state roads. It took longer, but I was much happier. I think I managed to find a couple of small towns I'd never been in before.

My back is really sore- probably from all the days in the car. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow. All seems to be fine here. Tomorrow I have to get busy on a serious work list.

Bird Hills Park, Ann Arbor. Newport Rd to Barton Pond and back. 3 miles.

See Next Stop Maumee River

7 comments:

Bill Courtois said...

HEY BUDDY! THANKS FOR INCLUDING ME IN YOUR TRAVELS!

Ellie said...

I am glad you were able to enjoy some of sites in my hometown. Aside from the road noise when you are near 14, Bird Hills is a beautiful park that is so close to the city. Did you see the very large tree just off the main trail? There is a bench near it with a plaque in honor of "Charlie." I live 15 minutes away and walk there often. It would have been fun if I had run into you on the trail today. After falling your FB posts for the past many months, I feel as though you are one of my friends!

Ann said...

Sounds like a pleasurable detour.

The Oceanside Animals said...

Chaplin: "Maggie!!! We remember Maggie! Dennis says she looked just like our brother Tucker who we never met!"

Sharkbytes said...

Bill- I think you are a permanent waypoint on my AA circuit now.

Ellie- hopefully we will meet one of these days.

Ann- it was actually closer than going to Ester's house, but I would have had more time with her the other way.

Chaplin- yes! That Maggie. They were twins from different litters, except Maggie was a girly girl.

John Suk said...

Bird Hills Park, Barton Pond. That brings back memories.

Sharkbytes said...

Hi John- it was a close and easy walk when I was staying with Phil and Nan