Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, October 7, 2023

Hikin' in the Rain


To my knowledge there was no singin' or dancin' involved, but hey, we didn't have Gene Kelly along.

However, nine of us decided that rain didn't matter. Two of the people were brand new to our group. We call them Intrepid!
hiking group in rain gear


All the rain gear made us a colorful bunch. Koa, Loren, Glen, Steve, and I walked together quite a bit.
hikers in the rain


Just a tiny maple tree, turned bright red.
small red maple


The most interesting thing was the way this bracken fern is losing its color. I like the pattern.
bracken fern fall


I also hunted down an unmarked railroad berm that I've showed you before. I lost all my waypoints when I updated maps. Note- if you use Avenza, it's safest to export your tracks and waypoints that you want to save before you update. Then if they don't come through, you can import them back into the map.

North Country Trail, Freesoil TH to Tyndall Road and back. 5 miles.

See SPW August Hike
See that rail berm in winter
See When I found it

2 comments:

Ann said...

Nice that the rain didn't stop you from a good hike.
That is an interesting pattern on that fern

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- I loved that fern. It was random-ish, but also rather regular/repeating.