Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Saturday, May 4, 2024

Spirit of the Woods Hike - May 2024

 We had 29 people (2 are not in the picture), 3 dogs and a ferret hiking today.
group of hikers


We hiked the same place I hiked a couple of months ago with some friends, but look what's happening now!


The green makes me so happy. And I like the lakes better at this time of year too. This is Leaf Lake
Leaf Lake


And Condon Lake.
Condon Lake


We went to the north end of Condon and turned around.

I thought this was interesting. Some people got pictures of the flowering dogwood trees on the way back when the flowers had opened flat like you usually see them. I don't think they close at night, so they must have just been opening for the season. Maybe one of you has a tree and knows.
flowering dogwood blossoms opening


I'm always a sucker for baby oak leaves. This is a white oak.
baby white oak leaves


And finally, some wild flowers. This is gaywings, Polygala paucifolia. Always a fun spring find.
gaywings


I did get a load of stuff to the township cleanup day before the hike. And I did complete my 100 miles of campsites. But now I'm beat.

Total miles hiked in 2024: 221.6, of which 78.6 is North Country Trail.

North Country Trail, Walkup Lake to north of Condon Lake and back, 7.0 miles

See When P... eacocks Fly

4 comments:

Ann said...

You had a nice turnout for the hike. The trees turning green always lifts my spirits.

The Furry Gnome said...

The world is turning green!

Sharkbytes said...

Ann- sure is an upper for me!

Stew- I am SO ready

The Oceanside Animals said...

Lulu: "Hiking with dogs! You can't beat that!"