Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, September 4, 2015

Curled Up- Ready for a Nap?

 


American dagger moth caterpillar

Encountered this guy today. I wanted to show you what it looked like stretched out, but it fell off the stick and then curled up and wouldn't open in the amount of time I had to stand around and wait.

It looks so soft and furry. See the long black tufts of hair sticking out a couple of places? Just ignore the tiny stick that's caught in the hairs.

I think this is an American Dagger Moth caterpillar, Acronicta americana It was pure white except for those black tufts. I've shown you a yellow one before, but they can become white as the caterpillars go through their instars.

This one had long hairs- looks like an old man's eyebrows.

It may or may not cause a rash if you touch it. We all know what you read on the internet is true, right? It says both that it's irritating and that it's not. So, take your pick. I didn't touch it with my skin. After it fell off the stick I picked it up with a leaf so I could take the picture.

At any rate... it's all curled up and feeling safe and nappy. Me? I'm getting ready to go to work for the night. No naps for a while yet.

See yellow American Dagger Moth caterpillar
if you like this blog, click the +1   or

Like This!


2 comments:

Lin said...

I remember it's fuzzy yellow cousin from my childhood. I don't see them anymore...I wonder why?

Still...he's adorable....rash or no rash.

Ann said...

oh yes, if you read it on the internet it has to be true...lol Strange but I can't remember the last time I"ve seen a furry caterpillar.