Entries to Win Afghan

Sign up to receive the Books Leaving Footprints Newsletter. Comes out occasionally. No spam. No list swapping. Just email me! jhyshark@gmail.com Previous gifts include a short story, a poem, and coupons. Add your name, and don't miss out!

Friday, March 18, 2022

1400, Pennsylvania, and Inspiration - Day 108

  I've crossed the 1400-mile mark. Woo-hoo. The sign on this bridge informed me that I have 1050 to go to Maine Junction, VT. That number probably changed between the time someone painted the board and when it was installed. But it's close. Maine Junction 1050 miles

And... I'm now in Pennsylvania. State #3 (only Ohio is complete yet, but it's a big one). NCT in Pennsylvania

I did 11 off-road miles today on beautiful trail (plus some road), through State Game Lands, and also on private property where easements have been negotiated. This is all SO much better than my first hike through this area. Just so you know, everything from Ring Mill in the Wayne NF of Ohio to almost Clarion, PA is covered in 2 chapters of the second of my trail books, North Country Quest. The chapters are "A is for Asphalt" and "Screaming Monkeys." Quite a different experience now. (You can order the books through me if you wish.)

The trail is now off-road all the way from the state line to the south edge of Darlington. I took a short rest and snack break by this lovely small waterfall. waterfall

I neglected to take the side trail to the top of this rock formation. I thought this was Indian Rock, however, I guess the actual rock is a smaller stone at the top that is oddly worked. Well, difficult side trips were not on my list today. Indian Rock hill

Is it possible that there is the slightest green tinge to the trees on the far hills? early spring farm view

But the best stories of today are two people I met. The first is a hiker named John. He lost a foot nearly 3 decades ago, but started hiking in 2010. He has been doing the 100-mile challenge for several years. Today, he was doing an 8.2 mile hike. He said the steep hills are difficult, but he gets them done. hikers

A couple of hours later, as I was checking out with a cold drink (high 70s today), this lady, Elaine, told me she had hiked over 3000 miles of the North Country Trail. What!!?? Then she was badly injured and was told she would never walk... then wouldn't walk without a walker, etc... Well, after two years, she learned to walk again and is taking short hikes. friends

To all of you who think I'm inspiring, just look to these folks! All I'm doing is putting one healthy foot in front of the other for a long period of time. These folks really have to work for it.

That said, I did well today. Tomorrow is a day off. I'm looking forward to some rest.

Miles today: 18.2. Total miles so far: 1415.5.

See Sandy & Beaver Canal

5 comments:

Ann said...

Over 1400 miles, that's impressive.
Those two people you met are inspiring. It's proof that a little determination can go a long way

Doug said...

Goodbye Ohio, hello Pennsylvania! Nice to have such a long mile state done. You'll have PA done in no time. If you've never read about Gary Miracle, he too has an amazing story. Song "Say I won't " by Mercy Me is based on his story.

Sue Teeters said...

HOORAY and HUGS for John, Elaine, and Joan....three wonderful inspirations for all of us!!!!!

Sue Teeters said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacy said...

Wow. You meet the most interesting, and often inspirational, people!